Friday, October 19, 2012

Henry update and Valley

Update about Henry from his mom Jessica:

We're home! Praise God! Henry took off like a shot when we walked in the door, playing with Miri and exploring all the toys! We've been absolutely floored by the amount of toys, books, stuffed animals, and craft supplies that have been sent by you!! We cannot thank you enough, what a blessing it is to watch the kids explore box after box, Henry even marvels at the cards, wanting me to read each one
to him and smiling and saying "awwww" when I finish! He slept great in our big bed, though he kept looking for hospital bed buttons to adjust it!

Before signing off for today I wanted to share one observation. I have often wondered what it would look like to wander through the "Valley of the Shadow of Death," with someone so close to me. And now home with a terminally-ill child, I believe we've entered the valley. And some of my assumptions were correct - there are pockets of darkness, fear, dread, and a deep sadness. But I was mistaken about one thing. This valley is not desolate. By God's grace our valley is flooded with your prayers and tears, your support and cheers. Most of all it is flooded with the light of our Father's love. This valley may be many things, but it is not a lonely place. Thank you for flooding this valley with love. We cherish every word, agree with every prayer, delight in every gift.

We pray for your peace and joy today.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to agree with Jessica about the valleys in our lives.  There are many times when we think we are at low points in our lives.  It is at those valleys when family, friends, and sometimes people that you do not know flood your valley.  Our valley has been filled a few times.  Jessica reminded me of that in her message that she sent to me, here is the line that she wrote that let me know she was in our valley, "I cried with you when you experienced loss and have reveled in seeing Olivia grow up and cheered her arrival into this world." With Jessica saying that it made me realize how many lives we touch with our sometimes serious, funny, boring blog.  So if you have someone in a valley, make sure to try to do something to fill the valley with love or hope. 

We had a regular day today.  The sniffles were better.  It did help that she got Baby Vicks on her feet  and chest last night.  I also ran the humidifier.  I didn't see her nose run at all today! Brendon and Olivia ran some errands this morning and they were giggling up a storm when I got home.  She was such a happy baby! Brendon experienced his first pee pee in the potty! I didn't have any luck today.  Olivia and I ran to Walgreens after dinner and I treated her to some ice cream...who doesn't like an ice cream treat on a Friday! So we came home and had some cookies and cream ice cream and then played outside.  I taught her how to put something in her sweatshirt pocket! It was pretty fascinating to her and she learned the word pocket.  We put lots of acorns in my pocket and her pocket.  We did have to do one minute of time out tonight after her bath.  She kept kicking and then kicked me so hard on my arm that it will probably bruise.  I put her in her crib with no animals for 1 minute.  She didn't cry but she didn't look happy either.  I explained to her that we don't kick and especially don't kick our mommy or daddy.  I know that it probably made no sense to her but hey... I tried!

Also her new favorite word is read.  When she sits on the potty chair she has us read The Potty Train book.  Cute book...but I have probably read it a gazillion times!! She holds up books now and says, "Read!" Her new favorite author seems to be Eric Carle.  Most of his books are pattern books which are great.  She catches on pretty quick and can sometimes fill in the blank if I stop reading.   She will now sit and listen to us read a book, which is much better than how she used to be.  I love that she loves books =)

We are not so messy anymore...this is what the living room looked like after she went to bed.  We put some toys away but she has become much better at cleaning up.  Most of the stuff on the floor is books =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment