Saturday, November 10, 2012

Coughing and New Tooth

Well we had a rough night last night.  About midnight last night Olivia started coughing.  She has been pretty congested this past week but no fever and it was clear mucous...so no real infection.  She has been coughing off and on and I could tell it moved to her chest.  Well we were up about 2 hours last night with coughing.  I fell asleep with her a bit in the glider and then laid her down.  Then she started coughing and Brendon took a turn with her.  Then she didn't cough again until she woke up.  I decided then that I was going to call the doctor.  They do Saturday office hours from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. I got in for 9:30 which was great because when I called we were still in our jammies.  We had to quick get dressed!

Of course when you are in a hurry you need gas in your car! I pulled in to the first gas station closest to our house and it said I had 1/4 of a tank.  Well something was wrong with the gas pump and it was pumping as slow as molasses.  It was so slow nothing even came out.  I stopped at $0.42 because I didn't have time to mess around.  When I started my truck back up the gas gauge went to E!!! I prayed and prayed all the way to the next closest gas station.  We made it and filled up much quicker. 

We made it to the doctor with about a minute to spare.  When we pulled in the parking lot there was a lady eating in her car and she had an enormous dog in the back seat.  Olivia saw the dog and said, "Deer!" I told her that it was big like a deer but it was a dog.  At least something funny happened.

We sat in the room for a bit but I was prepared.  I brought books, snacks, coloring books, and crayons.  We both we pretty entertained for a bit.  The doctor checked her out.  Her left lung sounded good but her right one not so much.  The doctor asked if asthma runs in our family- yes- Brendon has it.  So I got worried that it was asthma.  She said she wouldn't be able to tell until we did a breathing treatment and see if that helps clear it.  We did the breathing treatment...she fussed at first and then was fine.  We got to sit in the doctor's swivel chair which Olivia was fascinated with.  she kept saying, "Doctor's chair!!!" the whole time we were there.  After the treatment they checked to see how she sounded and her oxygen levels and all was good.  So her prescription for us is to do the breathing treatments 4 times a day for 4 days, then 3 times a day for 3 days.  She also has a steroid to take also twice a day. 

I had to buy the mask and tubing for the breathing machine but they let me borrow the machine for free as long as I return it by the date it is needed to be brought back.  Olivia did well with all the treatments today and the cough still sounds yucky though.  It is just a phlegmy cough. 

When I brushed her teeth tonight I was surprised to find a new tooth! YAY for a bottom molar- which we thought the runny nose was caused from anyways!

Well she is having a hard time getting to sleep already.  I have been up there once and now Brendon is up there trying to get her settled. I have a feeling it is going to be a long night......

Treatment before bed...=(

0 comments:

Post a Comment