Saturday, December 10, 2011

What has surprised us the most about becoming parents...

This was the discussion question at Gymboree today.  When I think about this question I could come up with a list of 1,000 things.  There has been so many things that we have surprised us in the last year that I thought I would share...

1. Expect the unexpected.  That is probably the first thing.  What you think may happen doesn't and sometimes things don't go as planned. Be ready to get frustrated with this and it is ok to cry it out!

2. Be flexible! You are not just one person anymore.  You and the little person do not operate the same and don't have the same schedules.  Having a routine/schedule helps when trying to plan things. And even then things can go awry.

3. The first 2 weeks you are a zombie...but you survive!  I really don't even remember what happened the first 2 weeks after Olivia was born.  I remember being in a zombie like state.  Once you get through those weeks the kinks start to work out and you start figuring things out.  Brendon and I really appreciated spending the first 2 weeks by ourselves because we figured things out- well we at least attempted to!

4. Be ready for your life to change.  Oh boy does life change! You cannot just get up and go anymore. It truly does change- friendships change, running errands change, completing housework changes, and your own personal quality time/priorities changes.

5. Utilize and appreciate nap time.  Usually when I really need Olivia to nap she doesn't! I guess she knows that I have work to do and she would rather play with me.  But I try to get a lot done during that time when she does take a nap!

6. Give yourself an extra 30-45 minutes in order to get ready.  We used to be able to get ready and out the door in an hour before Olivia.  Now it takes us a tad bit longer.  For example we used to be able to get up at 8:00 a.m. to go to church and leave the house at 9:00.  Now we usually get up at 7:00 ish. 

7. Throw away your alarm clock! You do not need one anymore- sleeping in is NOT an option.  I usually set my alarm clock for work and that is it.  Olivia is the alarm clock now.  We can count on her to wake up between 6:30- 7:45.  7:45 is we are lucky- that is sleeping in!

8. Pack everything you need but the kitchen sink in your diaper bag.  I never knew how much stuff we would need in a diaper bag.  Diapers, wipes, extra clothes, toys, tissues, a pen and notebook paper, burp cloth, hand sanitizer, extra formula... I feel like this list is endless...

9. You never realize how strong you are as a person and how much love you have for your child.  There are things that I have done this past year that I never thought I could do.  Also the love you instantly have for your child is incredible.  You truly do love that little person before they are born and that loves grows even stronger when they arrive. 

Finally...

10. A smile and a laugh can make all of life's problems go away.  Gosh that little smile and laugh melts my heart and makes every problem go away.  Even when it has been a tough day, that smile can turn everything around.

These are just some of the things that have surprised us about becoming parents.  There is no instruction manual that comes with a baby.  You do the best you can with the knowledge that you have learned and most of the time you just figure it out somehow! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment