Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Empathy from a 2 Year Old

Today we were sad when Mema and Pepa had to leave to go back to New York.  There was time this morning to take Olivia to Kindermusik and Mema came with us.  Olivia was a bit on the shy side today and didn't want to participate as much as she usually does.  But she eventually warmed up and was fine and had some fun.

We came home and Mema and Pepa got packed up.  While they were packing I was explaining to Olivia that Mema and Pepa were going to leave and go on an airplane.  She did her zoom zoom noise and pretended to fly with her arm.  I know she wasn't exactly understanding what I was saying but in her way she was.

After they left I was a bit teary-eyed and Olivia saw my tears.  She looked at me and said, "Your sad." I replied that I was sad because Mema and Pepa left and that I miss them.  She then said, "You need a tissue, I will go get you one." I was kind of blown away that she understood the emotion of being sad and to get a tissue.  When she brought me the tissue she also gave me a hug.  It was so sweet. 

Mema and Pepa arrived safely at home. The house here is quiet...it will take a few days to get used to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment