Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Peachtree Road Race

Well the 4th of July has come and gone along with the tradition of running the Peachtree. Who would have thought that I would be excited to get up at 3:30 a.m. to go run 6.2 miles with 59,999 people but me. It has become a tradition for 4 years now and I was oh so determined to make it there this year. I knew already in my mind that I was not going to PR (Personal Record) like last year. I knew that I wasn't even going to come close to my time of 56:29 from last year.

But it started out meeting with my friends the Looneys- Kim and Dean at their house. Another friend Chris Rogers also met us there as we began this trek at 5:00 a.m. We get into the truck and we are all a bunch of chatter boxes. We haven't all been together in a long time so there was lots of talking and laughter. We get to the MARTA station hop on the train and we are on the train. I still can't believe that 15 weeks ago I had a baby and now going to run. There is no turning back now. I can feel the butterflies creeping up my throat- they left the stomach a long time ago.

After we get off the train we head to the starting area. We run into more friends- ultra fast Joan Walls, Jerry Franzone who I used to pace with but now is super fast, and Tina Hunt in her new pink sneakers who was running her first PRR! We were so excited to run into them which led to running into more running friends from the Run and See Georgia running group. It was so fun to see everyone. I have missed everyone so much!

Back to the race- we a hit the port-a-pottys one more time and then it was time to go to our letter groups. I searched and searched for anyone I knew in Group D but I couldn't find anyone! Trust me it is hard to find people in your group when there is a 1,000+ people in it. I got to see the start of the race, hear the national anthem and see a phenomenal fighter jet fly over. The race started and groups started moving.

Finally we moved up to the start line and we were off. At the start of the race it was a balmy 74 degrees. I knew it was hot. My plan was to run as much as I could and walk when needed. I really wanted to run the first 3 miles. If I can make it halfway I can make it to the end. I grabbed water at each mile because the heat was unbearable. At the 3 mile mark I was at 28 minutes and some odd seconds I said to myself, "Halfway there and keep up the pace." Well then the hills start. I tried to make it up them but my body was saying recover and walk. So I did. I walked probably more than I wanted to the last 3 miles so that blew my under and hour time goal which was an original goal so then I made my goal 1 hour and 10 minutes. The longest stretch is the journey down 10th street. You are so close to the park but so far away. Finally I could see the finish and I made it at 1 hour and 9 minutes. I was 13 minutes slower than last year. Boo- I was mad at myself but proud that I finished standing up and still running.

At the end the greatest joy is getting your well deserved t-shirt and finding your friends. We all found each other and chatted about times, the course, and of course THE HEAT! It was unbearable this year. Reading the newspaper today there was a man that went into cardiac arrest and several hundred people sought medical attention.

But overall I had a great time with great friends. My overall theme this year was to enjoy the race instead of compete for a better time. I knew that my body was not in the same shape and condition as last year but I tried not the let that defeat me. But it felt so good to put on those sneakers and pound the pavement. Thank you to my friends that have given me the encouragement to get back out there and the confidence to do the race. I appreciate all the encouragement! I am looking forward to the 2012 Peachtree Road Race!

P.S. Thank you to Aleve for making this body a little less sore today!

Post race picture at home with Brendon- Olivia was napping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment