Wednesday, April 6, 2016

When the teacher has to take a test

Tomorrow I have to take a test.  Yes a test, actually 2 tests!  I am the worst test taker ever, I took the SATs twice, that's how bad of a test taker I am.  I shouldn't be though...in my 13 years of teaching I have given hundreds or maybe even thousands of tests by now and taught my students test taking strategies.  I should be a pro, but I don't feel like one.  As Olivia would say...I am not brave enough to do it.  I have been studying since February along with teaching, mentoring a student teacher, training for a half marathon, being wife, mom, and daughter, and I feel okay about the tests, but not super confident.  I admit I am nervous. 

This will be my first online computer test, which I even watched the video to prepare myself of where to click and what the questions may be like.  I feel that I don't read as closely as I should on the computer, but I have 5 hours to complete 2 tests with 80 questions a piece for a total of 160 questions.  I can't even bring a watch or a pencil so I am going to really have to watch my time. 

I now know how my students feel when they take a test. I have been thinking about it this whole past week.  April 7th has been looming over my head.  I have been saying words and terms in my head constantly.  I keep thinking about silly stuff too- can I have water during the test? 5 hours is a REALLY long time!!! Is there a snack break?  What if I have to use the restroom?? Just crazy things to think about, but I know my sweet students think about those things too!

I really should know all the information since I have been teaching for 13 years.  A lot of the information is stuff that I studied 15 years ago in my undergrad classes...but that was a LONG time ago and I am a little rusty and education has changed in 15 years just a bit!! I don't know why I have to take a multiple choice test to demonstrate my mastery of teaching ESOL students.  I have been doing it for 13 years, how about an observation?  That seems more logical to me. 

So say a little prayer for me tomorrow afternoon. I pray that I can be brave enough to conquer this test!



While everyone else is having fun on spring break, this is what I have been doing...and no I am not asking for any sympathy!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment